Show the Planet a Little Bit of Love this Valentine’s Day
Roses are red. Violets are blue. Your Valentine’s Day can be a little green, too! While we typically associate hearts and colors of red and white with Valentine’s Day, this holiday of cards, flowers, and chocolates is an opportunity to share your love for the planet as well as those you love.
In fact, if you’re not careful, Valentine’s Day can be one of the most wasteful days of the year. With these tips, you’ll not only show your love for the planet, you’ll create a memorable experience that your children, family, or significant other won’t soon forget.
Gifts For That Special Someone
Cards, chocolate, candy, and flowers – sure, they’re the go-to gift for that special someone, but what happens when the cards are discarded, chocolate consumed, and flowers wilted?
The following gift ideas are sure to create a memorable experience and benefit the planet:
- If you’re set on the idea of flowers, consider a plant instead. Many varieties may yield flowers for seasons to come or bring life to the indoors.
- Gift an experience such as a massage, movie, concert ticket, or a night out.
- Cook together. Share the experience of savory tastes and smells.
- Take a hike (maybe we’ll be above freezing!) in the great outdoors for an unforgettable winter experience.
Don’t Waste the Love
Once you’ve consumed the candy or the flowers have wilted, make sure you Know Before You Throw from our Valentine’s Day dos and don’ts.
- Do recycle cardboard boxes from gifts or flowers.
- Do recycle card envelopes.
- Do recycle wine bottles.
- Do take plastic floral wraps back to participating stores (think grocery and hardware stores) for recycling.
- Do recycle cardboard chocolate and gift boxes.
- Do recycle plain paper greeting cards (valentines without metal, plastic, musical, glitter, and foil add-ons).
- Do NOT attempt to recycle valentines with metal, plastic, glitter, or foil add-ons.
- Do NOT attempt to recycle flowers. Compost them if you participate in a home-based or local composting program.
- Do NOT attempt to recycle candy wrappers.
- Do NOT attempt to recycle ribbons and bows.
- Do NOT recycle jewelry, clothing, chocolate, wine, food, or beverages of any kind.
Our tips, tricks, and hacks for a green Valentine’s Day are sure to make your loved ones feel special while showing a little love for our planet.